2005 Siouan and Caddoan Linguistics Conference.

Jimm GoodTracks goodtracks at GBRonline.com
Mon Oct 18 02:23:16 UTC 2004

Bob:
I know Carolyn spoke to you how the 3 districts set the dates with Grey
Horse always the first one and most regularly set during the first weekend
of June.  Below you mention coordinating the Conference with the Spring
Ilonshka (x3), so as interested persons who attend the Dance(s) could attend
the Conference in the evening.  There are two dance sessions on Thursday,
Friday & Saturday.  Sunday session begins about 1~2pm after dinner and lasts
usually to 8pm or longer.
What I am trying to say is that for those who participate and attend these
dances, the evenings are no better than the mornings or afternoons to drive
the good distance to be at Kaw Nation for the conference.   And yes, many
individuals who are interested in Osage language do attend the Ilonshka.
As Carolyn says, one needs to wait to the Spring to learn what the dates
will be for Hominy and Pawhuska, and in recent years there has been some
innovative shuffles of dates as she suggested.
Permit me to suggest that the better time to set the Conference date (I
think) would be for the weekend in June that is not scheduled for any of the
well attended Spring Dance Ceremonies.  Even if Kaw was just up the road,
rather than the hour (plus) drive from any of the three communities, it
would be a competing activity and the Ilonska would win without any need to
deliberate.
Jimm