Siouan "have" verb

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Mon Oct 18 03:37:50 UTC 2004

"Have' and 'be' have never really been sorted out within Siouan from a
comparative and historical point of view.  'Be in a place' is usually expressed
with one of the positionals, although Dhegiha positional verbs derived
secondarily from the articles have a reflex of *he, which apparently was a
locative 'be', grafted onto the end of the verb.  Thus *riNk-he 'sitting',
*ariN-he 'moving', t-he 'standing inan.', k-he 'lying'.  This can't be
coincidence.  Other Siouan languages have a 'be' verb with the shape *he or *?e.
It it works out to be the latter, with the glottal stop, it would be a homophone
or near-homophone (except for V length) of *?e: 'demonstrative'.  The list has
discussed this before, so you should find it in the archive.

'Be' of class membership is *riN in Dhegiha languages, yiN in Kansa.  It is an
R-stem with conjugation b-liN, h-niN in Kansa, as in Kka:Nze bliN 'I'm a Kaw'.

'Have' is *ariN in Dhegiha languages = ayiN in Kansa.  John already discussed
this verb.  I'm not so sure that *ariN is found all across Siouan however.  It
is unclear at the moment whether there is a derivational relationship between
'be' of class membership and 'have' in Dhegiha languages; no one has taken these
questions up very much.

And, as John said, 'to have X as a kinsman' uses the causative suffix on the
kinterm.

BTW, the new and improved version of that 1977 paper of mine on the
grammaticalization of positionals in Siouan is in the new issue of STUF (Sprach
Typologie und Universalien Forschungen).

Bob