Iroqoian and Siouan

Marianne Mithun mithun at linguistics.ucsb.edu
Tue Oct 19 22:37:45 UTC 2004

Yes, that pretty much sums up my position. I think that a link between
Iroquoian and Caddoan is quite promising but by no means established. A
link between those two and Siouan is very tantalizing, but even further
from being established.

On the principle that we don't want to declare relationships until we have
enough evidence to be certain, because there can never be a definitive kind
of evidence that disproves a relationship, I'd agree that on the basis of
our present state of knowledge, we can't consider any of them established
relatives. It could be, however, that even on the basis of the data that
now exist, a relationship might be shown.

Marianne

--On Tuesday, October 19, 2004 2:55 PM -0600 ROOD DAVID S