Mississippi Valley Ablaut

"Alfred W. Tüting" ti at fa-kuan.muc.de
Wed Oct 20 17:06:48 UTC 2004

 >(Bob) John Boyle asked for a PDF file, so I'll try to make one of
those.  It should work with the Mac.  I can't remember if I used fonts
in addition to Siouan SSDoulos or not.  And I don't know if you will
need them for a .PDF file or not. <<

> (John) I think the fonts are embedded in the PDF file, and that this is the
virtue of the PDF format - it allows font embedding... <<

Yes, as you say, that's the most important feature of PDF that makes it
most valuable. One can embed fonts, pictures etc.

 > (John) My understanding is that it is also possible to convert
Windows TTF files to Mac TrueType font files using tools available on
the Web, but I don't know the details.on <<

I once - some versions of Mac OS X ago - converted Window TTF to Mac
format and back again (using Fontographer, a professional tool). As it
seems now, this is no longer needed with the last OS X versions of
Macintosh. So I can give it a try with it. Yet, there might be still one
problem: Window documents - even if in Word format - are pretty hard to
read by Word for Mac: there's quite some labour to manually remove all
those headers etc. and change (i.e. replace by cut & paste) many
non-Ascii characters.

Alfred