Same word, different meanings

Kathleen Shea kdshea at ku.edu
Mon Oct 25 03:37:38 UTC 2004

The first two are homonyms, with both vowels being nasal.  The third word is a compound of nu 'man (male)' and zhiNga 'little, young.'  (I'm not familiar with the truncated form nuzhiN.)  The word noNzhiN (naNzhiN with Ponca spelling) meaning 'to stand, standing' can occur after the main verb, functioning as an auxiliary with "durative" aspectual meaning:  naNzhiN naNzhiN 'It keeps on raining.'

Kathy Shea