"vertitive" source identified

lcumberl at indiana.edu lcumberl at indiana.edu
Wed Oct 6 11:38:39 UTC 2004

John Koontz recently reminded me of Allan Taylor's 1976 IJAL article on motion
verbs and in re-reading it I found this, regarding a prefix he identifies as
having the underlying shape k:

"Stems derived by this prefix relate the mootion to one's home or to an earlier
location. I shall call stems of this kind "vertitive," using the term introduced
by Hollow in his unpublished Mandan dictionary."  In the footnote, he cites
Hollow's 1965 Ph.D. dissertation, and further states, "The term was first coined
by Kaufman, although the only use in print, in this precise meaning, is by
Hollow." [IJAL 42:288]

I think this pretty well nails it down.

Linda