Hiraca and Hocak

David Kaufman dvklinguist2003 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 8 20:24:03 UTC 2004

Hello,

I'm wondering what the status is right now of work on the Hiraca (Hidatsa) and Hocak (Winnebago) languages.  I have not seen list email correspondence from John Boyle recently, whom I know was working on Hiraca (at least he was a couple of years ago when I visited Chicago).  I wouldn't mind getting hold of any new documentation, dictionaries, updated grammars, or any other materials which may have been recently published, or which I may obtain for my own library and self-study purposes.

I recently sent an email regarding Cherokee and Hawaiian.  (I take it by the lack of response that there are no Siouanists out there also delving into these non-Siouan languages, or know of anyone who does.)  These are the two indigenous languages I'm putting most of my efforts into right now, but I always keep an eye on Hiraca, Hocak, and some other Siouan languages as well, although I'm not formally or professionally involved in working on these languages.  It's strictly for my own information and personal interest.

Thanks.

Dave Kaufman
dvklinguist2003 at yahoo.com