biloxi update

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Wed Oct 13 19:39:47 UTC 2004

--Rom.: "vreau sc cbnt"-- exactly like Mod Greek <thilo na tragouds> "I
want I sing" = I want to sing.

	>  The only other similarity and possible influence I can think
of off-hand is that both Bulgarian and Rumanian have post-posed definite
articles, e.g. Bulg. cveteto (-to) and Rum. calul (-ul), although this
trait isn't shared by Greek; I don't know about other Balkan languages.
This is of course the opposite of other Mod Latin languages which have
the article before the noun.

	[RLR: ]  Yeah, Macedonian, Albanian and the Torlakian dialects
of Serbian.  Also Aromanian, Istroromanian and Meglenoromanian.

	This discussion of infinitives or lack thereof leads me to a
Siouan question: I know in Cherokee, from what I know so far, there is
an actual infinitive form of the verb.  But it seems to me that Hidatsa
does not have an infinitive form, and I believe that the third person
"unmarked" form of the verb is considered the "neutral" or dictionary
form.  (John B., please correct if I'm wrong.)  Do other Siouan
languages have infinitives, or do they simply have the "unmarked" form
of verbs like Hidatsa?

	[RLR: ]  No, other Siouan languges typically cite the (unmarked)
3rd sg of the verb.  In Dakotan apparently some speakers cite the -e
grade of "Ablaut" and others cite the -a grade.  I think I heard that
from David, but I'm not expert on Dakotan.