Policies

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Mon Sep 13 16:20:40 UTC 2004

While we don't have any strict policies on HTML formatting in mail for the
list, I thought I ought to point out for those who are used to using such
devices that some of us - well, me anyway - do not see the letters here in
color or multiple type faces.  So, if at all possible, it would be nice if
folks would please restrict themselves to more or less straight ASCII mail
in the old fashioned way.  I particularly advise against using color only
to distinguish comments from original material.  It's not necessary to use
angle bracket indents, but some more explicit device should be used.
Spacing and notes like "X says:" maybe.  I realize all this is kind of
clunky for those of you who have moved into the current millenium.

We also don't have any policy on attachments, but bear in mind that
attachments may not always make it through the processing of email in this
day and age.  Anyway, I'd also recommend avoiding approaches that cause
the body of your letter to always be placed in an attachment.

If you are (also) unable to see HTML-formatting in mail, would you please
drop me a line on the side, off-list?  I'lll summarize the responses.  If
I don't hear from anyone along these lines I may have to rescind my first
suggestion above and see about revising the way I access the list!
Perhaps I'm the only one watching in black & white these days.

Folks are always, of course, welcome to discuss this on list as well, if
they wish.

John E. Koontz
http://spot.colorado.edu/~koontz