Policies

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Tue Sep 14 19:04:01 UTC 2004

I got a few responses off-line in addition to those on the list.  The
consensus seems to be that we would prefer letters to be in straight
character text without HTML formatting as much as possible.

So, please try to avoid making critical distinctions with color, typeface,
typeface modifications (bold, italics), etc.  I apologize to those for
whom this seems a step (or two) backwards into the dark ages.  It seems,
however, that not all of us are using spiffy modern interfaces.

I think the issue of letters as attachments was less of a concern.  I have
to admit that pine (the old text in a telnet window mailer that I use) is
smart enough to handle these.  It can also handle text fotmatted with html
- sort of.  It simply ignores the html stuff, so carefully colored text
comes out in black in white in Courier regular (or whatever text I ask
telnet to use).  Actually, I use puTTY ssh instead of telnet.  Nobody lets
you log in with telnet anymore!

Aparently I'm not alone in this, though I think the company is mostly
among the academic members of the list.  Anyone using Web mail or one of
the Windows mail clients (Outlook, Eudora, Netscape/Mozilla mail, etc.) is
wondering where I got this fossil pine.  Actually it's well-maintained and
up to date in every respect, except that it works in "terminal windows"
with unformatted text.

JEK