Rory's Mysterious Omaha-Ponca Fragment

Mark-Awakuni Swetland mawakuni-swetland2 at unl.edu
Fri Sep 17 21:36:25 UTC 2004

Aloha all,

Exactly!
I've always heard the old folks say that those were "half breed names"...
not "English names"... with the implications that while they were not Omaha
clan names, they were still considered an "Omaha" name.

Therefore, my Grandma Elizabeth Saunsoci Stabler's English name was
"Elizabeth". Her Omaha name was "Thizabet"... since patrilineally, she came
through the French Saunsoci side and was not deemed eligible to be named
into an Omaha clan.

Suzini (Suzy)
JiniwiN (Jenny)
Methe (Mary)
are a few others. I need to do a systematic Q and A to find out others.

Since some of the names get handed down through families, they becomes
associated with particular clans...ebthegoN.

I personally promote the notion to any Omaha community member I talk to...
that their half-breed name IS THERE OMAHA NAME... not something less-then
Omaha (i.e., English/waxe). I think is provides an avenue for building
self-esteem for those kids not in clans.

uthixide