Meaning of Hethushka...Another consideration. (fwd)

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Sat Sep 18 22:14:51 UTC 2004

Greetings all:

I don't know if [anyone] remembers the online conversation posted on the
"Siouan Languages Mailing List" (copy below) concerning the meaning of
the Dhegiha term "Hethushka."  I stumbled on it while doing some personal
internet research into Ponca Hethushka traditions and origins, as I have
been a dancer and follower of the Ponca Hethushka traditions since 1980.

I wanted to comment on some information I found that may be of interest,
to consider as a related connection between oral tradition, literal
translation, and implied meaning to explain "Hethushka."

I would like to suggest that since there are some published scholars
(Wissler, 1916), (Howard, 1965), (Young, 1981), (Browner, 2002), (Belle,
2004) that attribute the possible origin of the Hethuska traditions to the
Pawnee Iruska; and since the Pawnee Iruska has as its oral origin
tradition, a story of culture hero Crow Feather who had a vision in which
he meets spiritual beings as well as the spirit of a fallen Pawnee warrior
who had his scalplock removed in a battle, that provide him certain
teachings; and since it is well established that the Pawnee Iruska
warriors wore their hair shaved on the sides with a braided scalplock at
the nap of the neck, laden with grease and stiffened in an upturned
fashion to resemble a "horn," so that the sign language for Pawnee was a
hand at the back of the neck going in an upturned arch immitating the
scalplock "horn"; and since according to Mr. Garvin, the commonly held
interpretation for the term "Heyoska" for a group of songs among the
Ho-Chunk is "to untie or remove the horn" (which could be interpreted to
mean: to have your scalplock "horn" removed in battle, such as the Pawnee
warrior spirit in Crow Feather's vision); and since the translation of
"he" in Dhegiha is "horn", might there be a connection? (note: In "The
Omaha Tribe", 1911, Page 182, there is a photo (Figure 40), of an Omaha
man named "Hethi'kuwinxe", wearing his hair with an upturned scalplock
"horn" at the base of his hair roach.)

Lastly, I do not profess to know that much about the Dhegiha dialect, but
I found the name of an Omaha person on page 174, of the same book, "The
Omaha Tribe" by Fletcher & LaFlesche, 1911. The name is "U'shkadazhi",
translated as "Dauntless or Rushing Into Battle Without Hesitation".
(note: According to the Oklahoma State Historical Society, on 20 October
1880, when Agent A.R. Satterwhite filed a report for the Ponca Agency,
"Rush Into Battle" was listed as one of the Ponca leaders or sub-chiefs at
that time.)

I know "u" is translated as "in", but I don't know enough to sub-divide
the rest of the name. Could there be a similar translation relationship
from the "u'shka" in the beginning of this name and the "thushka" segment
in "hethu'shka"? Just wondering. Any thoughts...comments? Jonathan Holmes