Omaha-Ponca words

Jonathan Holmes okibjonathan at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 24 21:59:51 UTC 2004

Howdy,
I am having some difficulty in determining the proper spelling and the literal translation for a number of Omaha-Ponca words. Perhaps there is someone on the list who can help.

The project I am working on involves the Omaha-Ponca Hethushka warrior society, in which there are men who hold various officer positions with appropriate titles. I have the titles in English first, followed by the Dhegiha word used with an assumed phonetic spelling I have heard used to describe the title, and in some cases, what the known literal translation of the Dhegiha term is. If anyone knows corrections, substitutions, additions or deletions to what I have listed, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Headman - nuda'honga or nudon'honga or noda'honga - literally means: "war"? "leader"
Camp Crier - wajey'pa or watsi'pxa or wa'gra ? - literally means: "?"
Historian - hegon'ootha ? - literally means: "?"
Advisor - waygon'say ? - literally means: "?"
Whipman - wanon'she or wana'cis - literally means: "?"
Cook - ooth'na or uh'hon or u'hon or ohan'cigre ? - literally means: "cook"?
Tail Dancer - sin'de or cin'de - literally means: "tail" "?"
Water Carrier - ne'athin ? - literally means: "?"
Head Singer - hun'kahonga ? - literally means: "circle"? "leader"
Lady Singer - uthsa'ze or hola'ze - literally means: "?"

Thank you,
Jonathan Holmes
okibjonathan at yahoo.com