Omaha-Ponca words

Tom Leonard tmleonard at cox.net
Sun Sep 26 21:54:16 UTC 2004

Here's what I have on the linguistic side of the words in question. I have additional (cultural) information from informants in my field notes but that would get lengthy.
  Headman - nuda'honga or nudon'honga or noda'honga - literally means: "war"? "leader"

  (Ponca) - nudaH or nudoN -  war, expedition, endeavor, "effort underway"
  (Ponca) - hoNga -  leader, also "big" (interestingly , not 'toNga')

  field translations: "war leader","boss", "chief of whatever it was they were doing", "peyote chief", "road man"

  In Osage, I believe the phrase is: doHda haN  (I believe Carolyn Q. or Jimmy Duncan could be of better help here)

  Camp Crier - wajey'pa or watsi'pxa or wa'gra ? - literally means: "?"

  (Ponca) waje'pa - "town crier", "crier" , "herald" (John, I believe "announcer" is a different word, but I can't think of it at the moment)

  I don't recognize "watsi'pxa" as being related to the subject. A meaning can be derived in Ponca but I don't think it fits here. "Watsi" means "dance" in Osage, whereas in OP it would be "wachi". "Watsi" in Ponca is sort of a vulgur slang word suggesting a horizontal dance, if you take my meaning. Old Poncas used to crack up to hear Osages say "aNwatsi kombra". Ask Jimmy Duncan some time; my aunt used to punch him everytime he'd say it. My dad would then yell "washpaNgaho! you guys". Then everyone would bust out laughing. Jimmy typically recovered by adding "ay china". But I guess you had to be there.

  Dance in Ponca is either a form of "wachi" (e.g. aNwachi) or "wachi ga'xe". I've also heard noN'te (e.g. aNon'te anga'ti, we're dancing right here). I wonder if "watsi pxa" was noted as coming from Osage and what was really meant was "watsi pa'xe" (dance, I make) or watsi paxa(!) ?? Might have come from the linguist nightmare: Q. How do you say "you dance"?
  A. I dance (watsi pa'xe). Not sure; I think we'd need Carolyn or Jimmy to weigh in on that one.

  Can't make much from "wa'gra". Closest I can think of might be "wa gtha' e" (to give things out), or "wa gthe" (term for a plume).

  Historian - hegon'ootha ? - literally means: "?"

  (Ponca) hi'goN - "old story"  (example given was: hi'goN pa'haNga de -stories from way back there, a long time ago)
  (Ponca) udha' from "utha ge" - to tell a story

  This is a relatively "new" term as applied to the Ponca Hethuska; not a "traditional" position. I believe Abe Conklin started this in the 1980's. One of the old timers I spoke with years ago said: "Never heard of it, that's why they have them singers. They keep the history." (direct quote).

  Advisor - waygon'say ? - literally means: "?"

  (Ponca) we'goNze; also have it as wa'goNze - "to teach" or "to teach us"

  Whipman - wanon'she or wana'cis - literally means: "?"

  (Ponca) wanoN'she - cop; policeman; truant officer; sheriff; traffic cop

  Cook - ooth'na or uh'hon or u'hon or ohan'cigre ? - literally means: "cook"?

  (Ponca) u'haN - to cook; or a cook

  Tail Dancer - sin'de or cin'de - literally means: "tail" "?"

  (Ponca) sin'de - tail
  (Osage) sin' tse -tail

  Water Carrier - ne'athin ? - literally means: "?"

  (Ponca) ni - water
  (Ponca) athiN - to have, or he has
  translation: he has the water or the guy with the water

  Head Singer - hun'kahonga ? - literally means: "circle"? "leader"

  (Ponca) ho'ka - group of singers (you often hear "ho'ka zaNi" - all you singers)
  (Ponca) hoNga -  leader
  translation - boss of the singers, or "head singer"

  Prior to the 1950's this "position" was basically unknown. Among the Ponca "head singer" positions started post WWII in the early to mid 1950's as cars became more available and larger inter-tribal gatherings started coming into voque. If I recall correctly (have to look back at my notes) Albert Waters was the first head singer (at the 1952 or 1953 Ponca Powwow). I have this repeatedly from many many sources.

  Lady Singer - uthsa'ze or hola'ze - literally means: "?"

  I don't recognize these at all. Although, as I recall, I believe the Osage have names something akin to these for women singers. I'll have to defer to Carolyn ofr Jimmy Duncan again on this one. In Ponca, women singers are typically adrressed as a relation. If you don't know that relation or you are not related to the individual (or if you are addressing them as a group) you generally refer to them as "sister" or sisters" (wi'doNde, or wi'he, etc. - to wit, the womens singers says "wi'doNde". Again, regarding the history of the Hethuska, among the Ponca at least, women singers weren't/aren't really thought of as a 'traditional' position. Among the Ponca, women didn't start sitting around the drum out in the arena until after WWII.

  Hope this helps.

  Tom Leonard