Meaning of Hethushka...Another consideration.

Tom Leonard tmleonard at cox.net
Sun Sep 26 22:16:05 UTC 2004

Thought I might chime in on this one as well.

> > Lastly, I do not profess to know that much about the Dhegiha dialect,
> > but I found the name of an Omaha person on page 174, of the same book,
> > "The Omaha Tribe" by Fletcher & LaFlesche, 1911. The name is
> > "U'shkadazhi", translated as "Dauntless or Rushing Into Battle Without
> > Hesitation". (note: According to the Oklahoma State Historical Society,
> > on 20 October 1880, when Agent A.R. Satterwhite filed a report for the
> > Ponca Agency, "Rush Into Battle" was listed as one of the Ponca leaders
> > or sub-chiefs at that time.)

"Rush into Battle" was my dad Joe Rush's grandpa (the name was shortened to
"Rush"). "U'shkada zhi", however, was his "baby name" or his "nick name"
(Poncas were traditionally given two names, a baby or nick name and a
"grown-up" name). U'shakada zhi" literally means "doesn't play around" or
"doesn't play like others". "Rush into Battle" is a different name all
together, but I can't think of how to say it off hand. I definitely have
this on tape and can dig it up if would help.

As far relating to the word "Hethuska", as you can read in earlier posts,
Joe Rush and some others told me the name came from xthe' xthe' shka de
(xthe' xthe' - tatooo, and shka de, to do or to make) or xthe xthe ushka (u
shka - to do like) "to do like, or to do for the tattooed people". However,
despite several Ponca informants reporting that, I don't think we have
"linguistic agreement" on the list here for that etymology.

"Hethuska" was/is reported as "an ancient term". Over time linguistic
etymolgies can get foggy and folky. Culturally and historically, the
definitions Ponca elders gave make some sense. On the other hand, I don't
know if the linguisitc structure of what was given holds up.