HISTORY OF THE HIDATSA

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Mon Sep 27 19:04:42 UTC 2004

I'd have to say that I think it's probably pretty late in the game for
us to learn much new about specific events 200 years ago unless the
information got written down.  That would hold for Wm. Clark's great,
great grandson ()if he had one) or any Hidatsa or Shoshone elder.  It's
not impossible that that some new fact or other might emerge, but I
think it's doubtful that something as salient as Sakakawia's identity
will be clarified by modern memories.

That said, I think it's certainly true that Indian recollections and
views of history have often been badly neglected.  Nowhere have I found
this more true than in the little investigation into the life of
Vice-President Charles Curtis that I did when we were looking at the
Kaw-Osage inscription on the chair given to him.  The biographies of
Curtis all say basically that he gave up his Kaw identity.  All that
makes it into the histories is his place in Whiteman's politics.  But we
read that he spent 10 of his formative years solely among the Kaw.  He
simply must have spoken Kaw and participated in his native culture
during that period, but none of his biographers has paid any attention
to that.  His life through his early teens is practically a blank slate
because of historians' negligence.  History is too important to be left
to historians.       Bob