Ponca - pathanike?

Jonathan Holmes okibjonathan at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 28 02:37:47 UTC 2004

Just wondering...

In a document of transcribed Ponca Songs, being:

Warrior, Sylvester and Lamont Brown.

1967. Ponca Songs Sung and Translated. Recorded by Tyronne H. Stewart, October 1967 at Oklahoma City, OK. Transcribed by Earl C. Fenner and Jon Orens.

...on page 10, is listed a song that the commentary says,

"This song, he's calling his friend. He had gone on the war path. At the beginning of the second part, 'pathanike', that we don't know. It's an ancient word which we have never learned as to what it means. But the first two words is 'kotha nuda he tha', it means 'friend had been on the war path.'

I was wondering if anyone may want to take a crack at trying to figure out what the old Ponca term pathanike might mean. I'm pretty sure 'pa' means 'head' or 'first'.
Jonathan Holmes