Tomahitan?

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Wed Sep 29 18:37:54 UTC 2004

Yeah, I figured this had to be some sort of group of amateur linguists or
historians all corresponding about the same things.  Right now none of the
various Tomahitan theories can be confirmed, but Sorg liked my Toma = 'town'
idea.  Sorg had also heard from some guy at the Smithsonian Press that the
Handbook of North American Indians series had been canceled.  I checked this
with Ives and he says there is no truth to the rumor.  The Southeast volume is
shipping in mid-October and the series is continuing.  I take it that the rumor
started because the Smithsonian Institution Press is apparently being merged
with the GPO and will no longer have an independent existence.  So if you hear
Handbook rumors, they're false.

Bob