argument structure k'u etc.

Pamela Munro munro at ucla.edu
Fri Apr 1 20:08:36 UTC 2005

Thanks!

Well, if you define "argument" as "something marked on the verb" (which
is fine, and I thought might be the case), this seems fine -- but in
fact, I think there are other ways to go. For instance, you really can't
freely add random nouns to Lakhota sentences. I think k'u really is
semantically and syntactically completed with three associated
"participants" (to choose a different term, which I often use when
talking with people who will be confused by "argument). I think each of
the three is fully as much a part of the sentence as, say, the subject
of an intransitive -- thus, I think this is a structural feature, not
just a semantic one. (I thought this before, but wondered if you knew
any obscure syntactic tests I was unaware of.)

So I think that 'give' is a ditransitive verb, myself, with three
arguments, but I would just say that in Lakhota only two arguments at
most can be indexed on the verb. (In English, we only index one argument
on the verb!)

Pam

--
Pamela Munro,