A test for the valence of Lakhota verbs?

ROOD DAVID S rood at spot.Colorado.EDU
Sun Apr 3 03:21:20 UTC 2005

Yes!!  Thanks, Bob and Pam, for clarifying that; I should have thought of
that term myself, since I also teach about "valence".  A verb's valence
refers to the number of arguments it can take, but to reiterate what I was
babbling about this morning, I think there are two kinds of valence: core
and something else (I don't even have a name for the others). Thus I would
hold that English "put" has a valence of two (I put something) in the
core, but nevertheless requires a third participant in the form of a
locative.  Would the rest of you use valence this way, or say that "put"
has a valence of three, one of which must be locative?
	And now I've thought of a Lakhota test for core valence: what does
the wa- 'indefinite' prefix do when added to the verb?  I will repeat an
example I've used many times -- sorry if this is old news to anyone --
that the verb iyuNga 'to ask someone something' has a valence of three.
Besides this, there is the form wiyuNga, with the wa- prefix, which means
'to inquire about'.  The "wa" has replaced the "someone" argument,
reducing the verb's valence from three to two.  There is also a third
form, wawiyuNga, meaning something like 'go around asking lots of
questions; be nosy'.  The second wa- has replaced the "something" argument
of the original verb, and now we're down to an intransitive.
	So the test would be: what (besides 'I gave it to him/her') does
"wak'u" mean?  Does "wa-" delete the recipient and leave the other object,
perhaps something like 'donate (something)'?  Or does it delete the
equivalent of the English direct object and mean 'I gifted him/her'? And
is there a "wawak'u" meaning something like 'be generous' or 'give stuff
to people'?  If so, then I will concede defeat and admit that _k'u_ has
three arguments; if not, I think I may have found an objective argument
for the position I've been trying to justify.
	Sigh.  I'd like the question about "?wawak'u" 'give stuff to
people' asked.  But it's not going to be so simple.  I just looked in
Buechel, and discovered that the verb for 'make donations' is wawicak'u (I
assume that's his spelling of wawichak'u).  If that's what I think it, is,
then "wa" is replacing the thing I'm calling the adjunct, or the semantic
patient, since "wicha", because it's animate, has to be standing in for
the recipient(s).  Now, in a sense, we do have all 3 participants indexed
on the verb.
	I hope there is a speaker on the list with enough patience to read
through this and help us.

David S. Rood
Dept. of Linguistics
Univ. of Colorado