transitivity of eat??

Pamela Munro munro at ucla.edu
Sun Apr 3 03:32:10 UTC 2005

Chickasaw (and most other Muskogean) also has two 'eat' verbs,
intransitive impa and transitive apa. (These look similar, but there is
no regular relationship between them.) The first has one arguments, the
second two. It's interesting how common this is!

(I'm not completely sure what you mean by a "covert object", David. Is
this an object that can appear if the speaker wishes to specify it? A
non-agreeing object, like the patient of 'give'? Or a semantically
implied object, if I can use that term, like what is eaten with English
'dine'?)

Pam

--
Pamela Munro,