A test for the valence of Lakhota verbs?

Pamela Munro munro at ucla.edu
Sun Apr 3 03:39:54 UTC 2005

While 'put' requires a locative, it's an interesting question whether
everyone will call that locative an argument, since it is oblique.

I like your notion of "core valence" vs. some-other-kind-of valence. But
in fact I'd say that the patient of Lakhota 'give' is part of core
valence, even though it does not agree, while the locative with 'put',
though required, seems less argument-like (to moi).

The wa- test is very interesting! I'll be interested to hear how this
comes out.

Pam

--
Pamela Munro,