thi + locative

Constantine Chmielnicki wablenica at mail.ru
Mon Apr 4 07:51:42 UTC 2005

We could range the "arguments" of the verbs according to ability to take pron. affixes, detrasitivizing/absolutizing plugs (wa-/wicha-), and being obligatory/optional

1. +pron, +detr, +oblig - direct objects in vt, (yutA) indirect objects (recipients) (k'u)
2. -pron, +detr, +oblig - direct objects in vd (k'u)
3. -pron, -detr, +oblig - "obliques" in thi (locative), etuNwAN (direction), iyA (language - Lakxot(a)-, was^icu-, txok(a)-; or manner - loudly, slowly, etc.)
4. -pron, -detr, -oblig - adverbials of time, manner, or location in most verbs.

Notes and questions.
1. thi requires locative, but in wathi kiN - "where I live; my home" it seemingly doesn't. How can this be explained?
2. what can be said about compounding verbs with some postpositions (as in Regina Pustet's article), when pronouns from the postpositional phrase shift to the verb, like e'l-mahi` ?
2. e'tuNwAN is used with adverbials of direction (ihukhul, waNkatuya, maxpiya ekta, NP el) in old texts but it looks that in modern usage it tends to do without them: ematuNwaN po! "look at me!" instead of el ematuNwaN po!.

Thank you.
Constantine.