verb suppletion.

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Tue Apr 5 22:20:13 UTC 2005

I think the pronouns in these 'eating' verbs are the
same conservative pattern you get with 'be sitting'
(ra:Nke) and 'be lying' (ruNke), verbs in which the
initial glides may be epenthetic.  The only difference
is nasality of the V.  I think John is expecting a
somewhat more innovative pattern.  As I recall, 'sit,
stand' and 'eat' are among the very few verbs with the
archaic (V-initial?) conjugation pattern.  I suppose it
may be possible to think of 'chew' as more recent in
some sense (maybe just less conservative in conjugation
pattern, but I think the /a/ vowel in some forms comes
from the 'chew' verb nonetheless.  I don't know which
dental stop Dakotan dialects have here, but it would be
interesting to look at the range of dialect data for
this verb.

The consonantism in the suppletive 'eat' works for me
in CH/WI because *ra:the 'chew' has *th, (not *ht), and
*rute 'eat' has just *t.  Fortunately or unfortunately,
both of these dentals have the reflex [d] or [j] in
Chiwere and Hochunk (voiceless in WI word finally, of
course), so the difference resides only in the V there.

Both verb stems have reflexes in all MVS subgroups but
reflexes of *rute are more specialized in Dhegiha
apparently.

Bob