Dakotan ''wichasha'' 'man'.

Constantine Chmielnicki wablenica at mail.ru
Thu Apr 28 23:35:31 UTC 2005

We should also count in Assiniboin "wiNc^ha's^ta"

In  Albert White Hat Jr. "Reading and writing the Lakota language" (1999)
the "red-man" hypothesis is also stated.

Can it be folk etymology like S^ahiyela for Cheyenne (S^a-(h)-iyA-la,
red-talk-little)?

Interestingly, there are more examples of D. s^t -> L. s^ change :
es^(t)a, "although",
toks^(t)a (<tokhe es^(t)a), adverb many meanings: later; at any rate
es^(t)as^, "indeed!"

Connie

--
Best regards,