Padouca.

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Fri Apr 29 00:51:43 UTC 2005

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005, Rory M Larson wrote:
> So "Padouca" originally referred to the Plains Apache, but shifted to
> mean 'Commanche' after about 1750, when the latter ousted the former.
> But Alan writes:
>
> > Thomas Kavanaugh ("Comanche", HNAI 13) doesn't seem to say. He does say
> > (p. 886) that "Shoshonean-speaking peoples, including the ancestors of
> > the Comanche, have lived on the Northern Plains since the 1500s", and
> > (ibid.) "By the 1730s, the Comanche had displaced the Plains Apacheans
> > and gained control of the trade between New Mexico and the Plains...
> > Meanwhile, other Comanches had established relations with French traders
> > from Illinois and Louisiana."

HBNAI (same article) indicates that for a time the two groups coexisted
and that Padouca continued mostly to refer to the Apache as opposed to the
Comanche.  I gather the changeover must have been gradual.  It's probably
best for us all to read the article and some of the references for details
and concentrate on linguistic issues here!