Argument Terminology

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Tue Apr 5 17:51:07 UTC 2005

Summarizing and simplifying neutral argument terminology (revised)

Indexed in Verb         Not Indexed in Verb

indexed argument   unindexed argument   non-argument

If an argument was indexed in some specific way this could be specified,
e.g., number-indexed argument (as opposed to a pronominally-indexed
argument).

I think one could reasonably assume that pronominally-indexed was the
default form of indexing, but it appears that one can't assume that an
indexed argument is the default form of argument at present, though I
think that this has been trued historically of Siouanist usage.  I only
started thinking of unindexed arguments as arguments when I began trying
to produce a classification of verbs that handled OP ?i 'give', dhiNge 'to
lack' and git?e 'one's own to be dead', especially the first and last.
I'll have admit that before that I hadn't really noticed the additional
unindexed arguments.  Because there are people using argument to mean both
indexed argument and either indexed or unindexed argument, it's probably a
good idea to clarify what you mean at present, and whether you distinguish
between unindexed arguments and non-arguments.