Padouca

Rory M Larson rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Apr 28 16:07:21 UTC 2005

Good catch, Ardis!  I got this off a web site for the town:

 The site was chosen by George Rogers Clark during the Revolution and the
 first settlers probably arrived around 1821. The early settlement was
 known as Pekin. In 1827 the town was laid out by Clark's brother William
 who selected the name Paducah to honor the legendary Chickasaw leader,
 Chief Paduke (or it may be the name of a group of Comanches known as the
 Padoucas).

I'm inclined to suspect that the Chickasaw Chief Paduke is
probably the basis for the name here.  In any case, it seems
to be an arbitrary name, like one would expect the founders
of a town to come up with.  If it does refer to the Padoucas,
it is probably coming through the English of the western frontier,
and not through local Algonquian.

Rory

             are2 at buffalo.edu
             Sent by:
             owner-siouan at list                                          To
             s.colorado.edu            siouan at lists.colorado.edu
                                                                        cc

             04/27/2005 07:52                                      Subject
             PM                        Re: Padouca

             Please respond to
             siouan at lists.colo
                 rado.edu

For what it's worth, there is a Padukah, Kentucky.  (All quilters know
this, it is the holy grail of quilting.)
That's a bit East.