Dakotan ''wichasha'' 'man'.

jurga at ou.edu jurga at ou.edu
Fri Apr 29 04:44:28 UTC 2005

Bob,

Here is Lakota scholar and speaker Albert White Hat's (Rosebud Sioux Reservation) analysis of "wic^as^a":

Wic^a, "a male"; s^a, "adornment". "S^a" is a short form of s^aic^'iye, "to dress up".
Buechel (1983:460) translates s^aic^'iye as "to paint one's self red" or "to dress well".
Albert's interpretation of the word focuses not on the color red, but on the aspect of maturity and responsibility that the adornment implies for the male. According to him, the term wic^as^a implies a position of honor which he achieves through exhibiting the maturity of his actions.

White Hat, Albert, Sr. 1999. Reading and Writing the Lakota Language: Lakota Iyapi un Wowapi nahan Yawapi. Ed. by Jael Kampfe. Salt Lake City: The University of Utah Press.

Jurga