[Lexicog] Turkey

Jimm GoodTracks goodtracks at gbronline.com
Thu Aug 25 15:33:06 UTC 2005

I had not heard the story of the name "Turkey" being applied to the N.Am
bird via Africa & the country of Turkey.  I would think that a name for the
N.Am bird would have been well established by the earliest N & S. Am.
colonists before the birds were imported/ deported to other continents.
Surely, they would not have shiped an unknown "specimens" or "species"
without calling them something.  After all, look at the label Columbus gave
indigenous Native Americans as he came upon them and sent a captured
shipment of them to Spain, i.e., "Indians", based on his false assumption
that he landed in India.  (No need to get into the rest of his atrocities,
the naming being the least one)

The Turkey, the indigenous large bird of the N & S.Am that is nonmigratory,
but is considered for both a game (hunting) and poultry bird (domestically
raised for eating).  The domestic bird is descended from the Mexican turkey,
taken to Europe by the conquistadores in the 16th century.  The wild turkey
is a woodlands bird, gregarious except at breeding time.  It is a good
flyer.

The Spanish for Turkey, the bird, is:  "guajalote" and "guanajo" in Cuba.
Another term is "pavo".
The Turkey-Cock that was mentioned above is "gallipavo".
I mention this as many Spanish names of  New World animals & birds were
taken directly from the local indigenous languages, and thus may be a clue
to the English designation.

For what it is worth, the N.Am central plains indigenous Ioway (Baxoje) name
for Turkey is "tagro'gro", which leads one to think it is taken directly
from the sounds that the turkey make.  On the otherhand, their related
neighbors, the Otoe-Missouria, simply called the bird:  "waying'xanje"
meaning -- big bird --.  The Ioway, Otoe-Missoria are indigenous to the
present regions of  the states of Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri and Kansas
[presently, removed to NE Kansas and central Oklahoma].  They are a Siouian
Family language, most closely related to the Winnebago (Hochank) of
Wisconsin  [presently, of Wisconsin and Nebraska].

I have no idea what the the Eastern tribes of the present U.S. may have
called the woodlands bird, which also may provide some clue as to the
present name "Turkey".
Jimm