[Lexicog] Turkey

David Costa pankihtamwa at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 25 19:37:17 UTC 2005

Actually, */pele:wa/ is more complicated than I realized.

Here's the breakdown:

'turkey': Shawnee, Fox, Miami, Potawatomi, Delaware

'grouse' (of some kind): Ojibwe, Menominee, Cree, Micmac, Arapaho/GrosVentre

I'm a tad reluctant to reconstruct this as 'grouse' since there are better
Proto-Algonquian candidates for that. Perhaps its true PA meaning is
'salient local game fowl'.

Ojibwe mizise is from an etymon (*/me?$i?le:wa/, lit., 'big flier') that
seems to mean 'turkey' most of the time, and 'prairie chicken' the rest of
the time.

'turkey': Ojibwe, Cree, Cheyenne, Menominee

'prairie chicken': Fox, Miami

Dave