Pemni Wichak'upi

Cantemaza mckay020 at umn.edu
Fri Aug 26 17:16:50 UTC 2005

helpdesk wrote:

> Does anyone know what the term Pemni Wichak'upi may mean.  I have it
> from a tape on the subject of religion.  It is in reference to a
> ceremony and I presume it is a Lakota ceremony. It just might refer to
> Holy Communion, but I don't think so because that is referred to in
> the same context as Yutapi Wakhan Icupi.  I wondered whether the pemni
> were 'tobacco ties".  Hope someone can help
>
> Bruce

I have not heard this myself but we (Bdewakantunwan Dakota hemaca do) do
have a word for pie, wo'pemni s'paN.  I haven't been to a ceremony yet
where pie is used so I'm pretty sure that is not it he-he.  Wo'pemni
s'paN means the thing that's cooked round or in a circle (taspaN
wo'pemni s'paN - apple pie).

-Cantemaza de miye do.