[Lexicog] Turkey

David Kaufman dvklinguist2003 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 26 17:39:17 UTC 2005

While we're on the international theme, might as well add Russian "indyuk" for turkey, again apparently deriving from the word for India or Indian.

Again, the Rumanian term "curcan" confirms lack of concensus on the part of the Latin-speaking peoples on a name for "turkey."  Interesting.

Dave

"Alfred W. Tüting" <ti at fa-kuan.muc.de> wrote:
'wild turkey', in Lakota is given as _wagleksun_ [wagle'ks^uN] - do you
have any idea what it means?

BTW, in German it's 'Truthahn' (maybe from mndd 'droten'- to threaten),
earlier it was called 'indianischer Hahn' (ref. to West Indies) but also
'welscher' or 'tuerkischer Hahn'.

In Romanian, it is called 'curcan' [kurka'n] and in Hungarian 'pulyka
(kakas)' [puj'kã kã'kãsh]. I don't know why :(

Alfred

http://mail.yahoo.com