Turkey

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Mon Aug 29 14:47:46 UTC 2005

> Meleagris refers to the Meleagrides, the sisters of Meleager, "who
bitterly lamented his death and were turned in birds."  Peacocks have a
fairly loud and harsh call, though it doesn't sound like lamentation to
me!

We had a pair of them wander into our farm about 7 years ago.  They were all over the countryside in Leavenworth County because their owner, as it turned out, had Alzheimers and couldn't care for his flock.  We sort of adopted them for about 4 months and called them "Thelma and Louise", although they turned out to be Theodore and Louis.  The first time you hear them cry it's shockingly like a woman screaming.  Might fit someone's definition of "lamentation".  The coyotes got one of them after awhile and we got some kid from 4-H to come out and adopt the other one.  We actually lured it into a cage by placing a large mirror in the back of the pen and waiting. . . .