Kaw Announcements

Justin McBride jmcbride at kawnation.com
Fri Dec 9 14:58:44 UTC 2005

Howdy, all.

While I certainly don't want to use the list for anything inappropriate, I
do happen to have two announcements that might be of interest to some of
you.

(1)    The Kaw Nation has been gracious enough to assign the Language Dept.
a suite of offices in the tribe's brand new Maude McCauley Clark Rowe Social
Services Building in Kaw City, OK.  The facility is beautiful and more than
spacious enough to house me and all my stuff.  As you can imagine, I'm
**very** excited about the move.  Well, the tribe is, too.  In fact, they're
planning a huge doin's for the dedication on Friday, December 16.  At 2
there will be a ribbon-cutting, followed by building tours until 4.  Then
we'll all eat a nice traditional meal from 4 to 6, prepared by the very same
cook responsible for the delicious fare at the Siouan & Caddoan Conference
back in June.  The evening will close with a big dance at the Kaw City
Community Building.  Head Staff includes Myron Redeagle (Head Singer), John
Henry Mashunkashey (MC), Joseph Jones and Colt Donelson (Kaw Whipmen, Arena
Directors), Pat Freeman (Head Man, and also the Project Manager for the new
building), female members of Mrs. Rowe's family (co-Head Ladies), grandsons
of Mrs. Rowe (Waterboys), and the Kaw Nation Color Guard.  To top it all
off, Kaw City has officially declared the day to be Maude Rowe Day.

And you're all invited!

For those of you who may not know, back in the 1970s Maude Rowe was one of
the last twenty or so Kaw fullbloods and one of only a handful who could
still speak the language fluently.  She was a prime mover in the Kaw
cultural maintenance and revitalization efforts during that era, and almost
single-handedly brought about the tribe's now annual powwow.  She was also
the principal informant for Dr. Rankin in his Kaw language field work.  So,
it's quite fitting that the tribe honor her by dedicating and naming this
new building in her memory.

I realize a trip to Kaw City may be a little out of the way for most of the
list members.  But I do know there are probably some fellow Okies reading
this.  Anyhow, I'd love to meet with all who might make it.

(2)    The tribe has still not filled the Language Coordinator position that
I first mentioned on the list last back in October.  I really do think it's
an ideal job for a recent college grad who may be wanting a few years of
steady work in a language-related field.  Plus, it offers a really good
entry-level salary, in my opinion.  And since it has taken us so long to
fill it, we're now pretty much lined up with the close of most colleges'
fall terms.  So if there's ANYBODY out there who knows of someone willing to
live and work in northern Oklahoma, please let them know about this job.
Seriously, I'm desperate!  Here's the announcement (don't let the wording
scare you off--we're really not looking for a multilingual linguist who's
also both a master teacher and a seasoned designer, although that would be
awfully nice to find...):

Kaw Language Project Coordinator
Full time
Location: Kaw City, OK
Bachelor's degree preferred in the following areas: Linguistics, Native
American Studies, Anthropology, Education, Computer Science, and/or the
Humanities. A combination of education and work experience is acceptable if
work includes at least two years in a related field. Education requirement
may be satisfied with a total of at least three (3) years experience that
closely relates to the duties and level of responsibility required for the
position. Candidates who possess knowledge concerning any of the Dhegiha
Siouan languages (Kaw, Osage, Omaha, Ponca, and Quapaw) will have
preference. Applicants fluent in both English and another language are
recommended. Ability to communicate and maintain effective working
relationships with staff and community members are a must.
For more information contact the Kaw Nation Human Resource Department at
(580) 269-2552. An application can be printed from www.kawnation.com. Résumé
must accompany application and submitted to PO Box 50 Kaw City, OK, 74641.
Deadline is 4:00 pm, December 16, 2005. Kaw Nation maintains a drug free
workplace.

Thanks!

Justin McBride
Language Director & acting Webmaster