inclusive/exclusive

shokooh Ingham shokoohbanou at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Dec 10 21:40:54 UTC 2005

I have just discovered, after studying Lakota for
about twelve years that I have been using the terms
exclusive and inclusive wrongly.  I always thought
that 'exclusive we'  uNkiye meant that the 3rd person
was excluded and 'inclusive we' uNkiyepi meant that
the 3rd person could be included.  If it is the other
way around, does it make sense? If uNkiyepi is
exclusive, what is it excluding?  It does not exclude
2nd person, because uNkiyepi could mean 'I, you and a
third party'.  Possibly there is some other rational
for this use of the terminology.  Does anyone know
what it is? It seems to make more sense in Cree where
nimiicinaan (exclusive we eat) means 'I and others
excluding you', whereas kimiicinaw (inclusive we eat)
means 'I and possibly others including you'.  I also
note that the term dual can be used for the uNkiye in
Lakota meaning 'you and I'.  Does anyone know whether
it can mean 'more than one of you plus I', in which
case it would not really be a dual.
We live and learn
Bruce