inclusive/exclusive

BARudes at aol.com BARudes at aol.com
Mon Dec 12 03:33:17 UTC 2005

Dave,

The short answer is "yes", there has been more research on the relationship
of the Yuchi language to the Siouan languages that you are probably not aware
of. I gave a paper back in the 1980s pointing out a fair number of lexical
pairs among Yuchi, Catawba, and Proto-Siouan that appeared to be cognate. More
recently, Bob has done research that demonstrates what appear to be cognate
pronominal elements and a system of classificatory prefixes on nouns among Yuchi,
Catawba, and Proto-Siouan. Bob may have done additional research that I am not
aware of. The evidence taken together increases the probability that Yuchi,
Catawba, and Proto-Siouan are genetically related. Whether the combined weight
of the evidence is sufficient to "confirm" the relationship is still a matter
of debate for some.

I should note, however, that even if the relationship is taken as
"confirmed", it is not appropriate to say that Yuchi is a Siouan language. Proto-Catawban
(the ancestor of modern Catawba, the Woccon language, and perhaps other
extinct languages of the Carolinas) and Proto-Siouan descend from coordinate
off-shoots of a language that I refer to as Proto-Siouan-Catawban. Where Yuchi fits
in is uncertain. Based on such morphological features as the absence of
instrumental prefixes in Yuchi versus their presence in Catawba and Siouan, I would
specualte that Proto-Siouan-Catawban and Pre-Yuchi were coordinate offshoots
of a still older language that, for lack of a better term at the moment, could
be called Proto-Siouan-Catawban-Yuchi.

Blair