inclusive/exclusive

David Costa pankihtamwa at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 12 16:06:40 UTC 2005

I only just read this. I think you have had it backwards. In my experience
in Algonquian, first person plural exclusive means excluding the addressee,
and inclusive means including the addressee. In other words, 'inclusive' is
1st person + 2nd person (with 3rd included optionally), while 'exclusive'
means 1st person + 3rd person, and not the addressee (2nd).

I'd be rather surprised to hear that 'exclusive'/'inclusive' were used in
any other way in grammatical description.

(Of course, I can't speak to how the Lakota forms fit into this.)

This distinction is extremely clear-cut in Algonquian languages; more so
than in Siouan, from the sound of it. For one thing, inclusive verbs take
the second person prefix, while exclusive verbs take the first person
prefix.

Dave