inclusive/exclusive

ROOD DAVID S rood at spot.Colorado.EDU
Wed Dec 14 00:12:10 UTC 2005

> Hi David,
>
> Can you tell us the plural form of
> unyin kte heci 'let's go', said to one person.

	If I'm speaking to more than one person, I say "unyanpi kte heci."

> In Osage, the dual can be either 'you and I' or 'he and I' excluding you.  I
> had several sentences such as 'John and I are fixing up the house' with
> dual, not plural, verb ending.

	I have to rely on non-native Sprachgefuehl here, but I expect
'John and I went' to be John kichi unyanpi, literally 'with John we (pl)
went', or miye kichi John ye 'with me John went'.  "John kichi unye" would
be 'you and I went with John'.

	I don't know of a way to coordinate a pronoun and a noun into a
complex noun phrase like English "John and I".

	Please -- some of you Lakota speakers out there please correct or
confirm this before somebody takes me too seriously.