inclusive/exclusive

Jan F. Ullrich jfu at centrum.cz
Wed Dec 14 08:18:58 UTC 2005

I have the same experience with Lakota dual as that described by David and
Regina. That is only if "I and you" are a subject of the action dual un(k)
(without -pi) is used.

One little correction:

> but I expect 'John and I went' to be John kichi unyanpi, literally 'with
John we (pl) went',
> or miye kichi John ye 'with me John went'.

In my experience, John kichi unyanpi means 'We went with John'.
'I and John went' is expressed either with John kichi ble - 'I went with
John' or
Miye kichi John ye - 'John went with me'.

I have a feeling that the latter is not very common, though.

Jan

Jan F. Ullrich
Lakota Language Consortium
www.lakhota.org