Winnebago Inclusive/Exclusive and Minimal/Augmented Pronominals

Dr. Johannes Helmbrecht johannes.helmbrecht at Uni-Erfurt.de
Thu Dec 15 08:21:02 UTC 2005

Dear Siouanists,

I would like to add some clarifications with regard to the inclusive/
exclusive distinction in Hocank (Winnebago) from my experience. First of
all, Lipkind is basically right with his analysis of forms. There is a
1A.DU.INCL hiN- meaning 'you and I'. If this form is pluralized with the
suffix -wi, it is a 1A.PL.INCL. The 1SG ha- becomes a 1A.PL.EXCL with
the plural marker -wi. Actually, there is no real dual form except the
'you and me' form hiN-. I would fully agree with John that we have a
very similar pattern in Hocank to the ones summarized below in terms of
minimal/augmented pronouns. There is not much to add to Johns
presentation of the data form Austronesian and Australian languages.
Perhaps, if I remeber correctly, there are also other morphosyntactic
properties beside the structure of the paradigm which indicate that the
1+2 form is treated as singular in Rembarrnga, namely agreement, but I
might be wrong.

On the other hand, Hocank has the same distinction also in the undergoer
series of pronominal affixes showing exactly the same pattern. The
1U.DU.INCL is waNanNgá- (certainly a historically recent addition to the
pronominal partadigm) which can be pluralized with -wi resulting in a
1U.PL.INCL form. Interestingly, the 1U.SG form hiN- forms a 1U.PL.EXCL
with -wi. (Note that 1U.SG hiN- and 1A.DU.INCL hiN- are homophonous, but
they are distinct with regard to the morphological slot of the verb
where they appear).  So the system looks like  the following :

Actor
1SG               ha-
1PL.EXCL    ha- ... -wi
1DU              hiN-
1DU.INCL   hiN- ....- wi

Undergoer
1SG               hiN-
1PL.INCL     hiN- ... -wi
1DU               waNaNgá-
1PL.INCL      waNaNgá- .... -wi

The interesting thing about the plural marker -wi is that it may
pluralize all speech act participants, no matter which syntactic/
semantic function (actor/ undergoer) they have. In addition, -wi (PL)
can also pluralize both speech act participants in a transitve clause.
If there is a first person acting on a second person, -wi may pluralize
the actor, or the undergoer, or both of them. Disambiguation is a matter
of the context. In addition, -wi alone may represent the 3PL.SUBJ, but
these instances are rare in our corpus of texts. The default 3PL.SBJ
marker is the suffix -ire which has only this function. Historically,
Hocank -wi seems to me cognate to Lakota -pi, but there is nothing
similar in Lakota like -ire. If speakers are asked for a verb form with
a 3PL.SBJ, they give always forms with -ire.

In transitive clauses, we have a combination of the actor and the
undergoer pronouns. Reflexive configurations are avoided. Instead, the
reflexive prefix ki- is used. Johns is right to point out that
configurations such as I->us or you->you are forbidden. John is also
right in assuming that INCL -> second person combinations are not
possible. The same combinations with EXCL are, however, allowed.

Let me add a final remark. It is noteworthy that there are Hocank
speakers who totally gave up the inclusive/ exclusive distinction. They
continue to use the different forms listed above but with no difference
in meaning. They are no longer associated with the incl/excl distinction.

Best,
Johannes

--
PD Dr. Johannes Helmbrecht
Universität Erfurt - Philosophische Fakultät
johannes.helmbrecht at uni-erfurt.de
http://www.uni-erfurt.de/sprachwissenschaft/index.htm