Hidatsa Word Analysis

John Boyle jpboyle at uchicago.edu
Tue Dec 20 13:37:10 UTC 2005

Hi All,

Sorry I didn't respond to the list I didn't know how much interest there would be
in a Hidatsa word.  This is basically my response to Jimm:

I to was troubled by the [dw] cluster as Hidatsa doesn't allow this.  I think what
the word really was, was:

 maruwahiri?isha
 maruwa-hiri-?-isha
 something-do-this.way

Meaning "something that is (meant) to be done".  After talking with Jimm, I
found out the context of this word.  It was told to him by Finigan Baker, who
was a very fluent speaker.  Given the context of the conversation, I think this
gloss is correct.  I have asked several people I work with in North Dakota and
they agree with this translation.

So, there is my take on it.  Sorry I didn't respond to the list as a whole.

John Boyle