inclusive/exclusive

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Wed Dec 14 00:52:39 UTC 2005

> I wonder how solid this is?  'WE', in English and Siouan, basically means
'myself plus somebody else'.  In Siouan, I prefer to think of it as a
separate 'person' which, like 'you' and '3rd person', can be pluralized or
not.

Yes, I think that was what Bob Dixon was thinking in simply making it a separate category like 1st,2nd, 3rd.

> Granting that 'you and I' is the most common, and perhaps prototypical,
usage of uNye, the real test is in how fluent speakers would translate
'S/he and I went'.  Is it well-established, tested against numerous Dakotan
speakers, that 's/he and I went' is regularly translated as uNyaNpi rather
than as uNye?

That's a question I just can't answer.  On the rare occasions that Mrs. Rowe used the inclusive, however, it was invariably 'you+I' and was the subject/agent of the sentence.  I think if a speaker told me that uN(k)- without -(a)pi could mean 's/he and I', I'd want them to be monolingual.