Hidatsa Word Analysis

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Wed Dec 21 20:16:05 UTC 2005

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 jpboyle at uchicago.edu wrote:
> Sorry I didn't respond to the list I didn't know how much interest there
> would be in a Hidatsa word.

Are you kidding?  Especially in this case where several useful word
formation patterns were exhibited!

Also, it helps balance out the Omaha-Ponca.  Though Omaha-Ponca continues
to fascinate me, and clearly contains within it reflections of all things
Siouan and worthy, I sometimes worry that there may be people on the list
who feel they might do something desperate if they see another edh.

No, as it stands the diet on the list is quite Crow-Hidatsa deficient, not
to mention Mandan, Winnebago, Ioway-Otoe, and points southeasterly.  Very
little vitamins syntax or phonology either.  Lots of spicy etymology, not
much roughage.