Non-Dakotan Siouan speech online

Jonathan Holmes okibjonathan at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 1 20:43:47 UTC 2005

Are you aware of this Library of Congress Website?:
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/omhhtml/omhhome.html

At this site you will find:
Omaha Indian Music features traditional Omaha music from the 1890s and 1980s. The multiformat ethnographic field collection contains 44 wax cylinder recordings collected by Francis La Flesche and Alice Cunningham Fletcher between 1895 and 1897, 323 songs and speeches from the 1983 Omaha harvest celebration pow-wow, and 25 songs and speeches from the 1985 Hethu'shka Society concert at the Library of Congress. Segments from interviews with members of the Omaha tribe conducted in 1983 and 1999 provide contextual information for the songs and speeches included in the collection. Supplementing the collection are black-and-white and color photographs taken during the 1983 pow-wow and the 1985 concert, as well as research materials that include fieldnotes and tape logs pertaining to the pow-wow. This presentation is made possible by the generous support of The Texaco Foundation.

In addition, there is a link related Omaha/Ponca "Spoken Word" links at:
http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/S?ammem/omhbib:@field(NUMBER(@range(s0001+s0999)))

Good Luck,
Jonathan

"Rankin, Robert L" <rankin at ku.edu> wrote:
Dear Friends,

I have not yet checked the Kaw Nation language program website, but if the voice is a woman's, then it is Mrs. Maude Rowe, one of the last fluent speakers of Kaw and the person with whom I did the vast majority of my recording in the mid 1970s.  If the recording is of a man speaking, I'm afraid it is probably me.  Sooner or later there will be recorded material from speakers on the website.

Bob