Dorsey u circumflex in Biloxi

David Kaufman dvklinguist2003 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 3 17:51:25 UTC 2005

I don't believe Haas recorded any stressed schwas in her article.  Although she did record length, another challenge on the Biloxi horizon.

-- It occurs to me that it might be good to look at original field notes on
Biloxi. --  Yes, I thought of this too.  I hope that in the not too distant future, finances and time permitting, perhaps I can make a trip to the Smithsonian and see all the original field notes for Biloxi.  Gatschet also seemed to have some interesting notes, according to Einaudi, such as representing Dorsey's k-dot as g.  It would definitely be nice to have copies of all that.  Who knows what tidbits lurk in the details!

Dave

"Rankin, Robert L" <rankin at ku.edu> wrote:
It occurs to me that it might be good to look at original field notes on
Biloxi. Gatschet (who was not the world's greatest phonetician) did
some Biloxi before Dorsey did and JOD incorporated his notes supposedly.
It might be interesting to see what Gatschet wrote for 'black' in BI.
Bob