Siouan root constraints

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Fri Feb 4 02:17:17 UTC 2005

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005, Koontz John E wrote:
> I'm using Th
> for both *hT and the much rarer *Th forms.  These contrast in Dhegiha, but
> fall together as Th in Dakotan (except that *Th

Oops, correction, I made a meta-error.  only *th becomes h in Dakotan, as
in Da phehaN 'crane' vs. OP ppethaN < *hpethaN.  (In some cases in
Dhegiha, Winnebago, and Ioway-Otoe *ph comes out h.)

> comes out h with one exception, *matho 'grizzly').

Da ma(N)tho, OP maNc^hu < *maNtho.

Other common sets are *thi 'arrive here', *pethaN 'fold', *thu 'copulate',
*wathe 'skirt', *the ~ thaN 'upright'.  These Da h : OP th comparisons
were first made by James Dorsey in the lists appended to his Comparative
Phonology paper.  Allan Taylor rediscovered *thi in his motion verb paper
and provided the first process based account of what was happening.