Unicode again

Alan H. Hartley ahartley at d.umn.edu
Thu Feb 10 03:31:00 UTC 2005

Bob,

After all the work on that Word doc for character-picking, I found
Richard Ishida's site, http://people.w3.org/rishida/scripts/pickers/
See especially the IPA and Latin+ pickers. They're beautifully done and
very easy to use (assuming your browser is Unicode-compliant). It's fun
to sit and plunk away at them. (Note the simplicity of making composite
characters--and the right-to-left text entry for Arabic and Hebrew.)
I've downloaded them onto my hard-drive, and they work fine that way
also, so you don't need to be on line.

Best, Alan

P.S. to the list: Bob's remarks about the difficulties of composing
characters (with ogonek, I think) prompted me to make a list of the
characters I encounter frequently in working with pronunciations and
(mostly Native American) etymologies. The Word file that resulted is
wholly superseded by Ishida's Web-based pickers.