Biloxi "ko"

David Kaufman dvklinguist2003 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 18 22:04:20 UTC 2005

Hi,

I've been looking over Dorsey's dictionary and sample sentences noting a few of the uses of "ko" which is often glossed as a definite article or as 'when'.  I came up with a hunch based on some sample sentences I found, one of which I have below for illustration:

aNsep noNpa amaNki ko kta = the two standing axes are his. aNsep = ax, noNpa = two, amaNki = dual/plural def. article, ko (simply glossed as ob. 'object'?), kta = his.

There are several sentences with 'ko' glossed this way and occuring even with another definite article, in this case 'amaNki.'  Thus, my hunch is that 'ko' in this case may be sort of a Japanese 'wa', loosely translated as "as concerns it", thus, 'as concerns the two standing axes, they're his.'

Are there any examples of this type of 'ko' particle having such a meaning in other Siouan languages?

Thanks,
Dave

http://mail.yahoo.com