Wanikiya Tun -> omaka

Bruce Ingham bi1 at soas.ac.uk
Tue Jan 11 10:33:35 UTC 2005

I¹m sure that the connection is as you say makha Œearth¹ and the abstract
making or locative prefix o-, linking time with the changing phases of
mother earth in the year.
    I believe that this is also true in Cree, which often mirrors Lakota in
such things although they are not etymologically related but not far from
each other geographically.  I remember that they use pipon Œwinter¹ for
Œyears of age¹ as in nisosaap e piponeyaan Œwhen I was 12 years old¹, but
I¹m sure that they also use askiy Œearth¹ in some way for year, but cannot
remember how and have not got any Cree books to hand

Bruce

> With spring, Chinookans, like flowers, emerged from underground to a new
> world. The root for "world, country, land, earth" indeed also has the meaning
> "year", pointing up the interdependence of recurring time with the recurrences
> of the seasonal round." (p. 21)
>
> Apart from all this sounding very familiarily Chinese to me, here's my query:
> how's this in Siouan etymology? As for Dakota, the word for 'season/year'
> _omaka_ obviously comprises _maka_ [makxa'] 'earth' etc. plus the locative (or
> whatever) prefix _o-_.
>
> Alfred

Bruce Ingham
Professor of Arabic Dialect Studies